The Lobaro Hybrid Modbus Gateway ext. Power, DinRail is an easy-to-use, cost- and energy-efficient device that reads data via Modbus from any number of Modbus-enabled devices, caches it and forwards it to the Internet.
The gateway can be used to communicate with Modbus slave devices (ASCII/RTU on an RS-485 bus, TCP on over Ethernet) over NB-IoT, LTE-CatM1, LoRaWAN or LAN. Modbus commands can be transmitted to the gateway via downlink message and are forwarded by the bridge to the connected slave devices. Received responses are forwarded to the Lobaro IoT Platform as uplink messages. The Modbus gateway can also be configured to periodically execute Modbus commands and report the responses at the time of execution.
The Modbus gateway supports reading of all four register types that can be provided by Modbus slave devices: Coil, Discrete Input, Input Register, and Holding Register. It also supports writing values to all writable registers: Coil and Holding Register. Several different slave devices on the bus can be accessed individually from a single gateway device, even if the slave devices have different Modbus configurations. To meet individual requirements, read intervals and register definitions can be configured very flexibly.
In normal operation, all actions of the device are controlled by an individually configurable scheduler, which executes the list of jobs in sequence. Only one job is executed at a time. The jobs generate uplink messages that are uploaded. After each uplink is sent, the device looks for downlinks coming from the network (this happens in both LoRaWAN and LTE configurations). Downlink Modbus commands are currently only supported for LoRaWAN.
In addition, it is possible to read consumption values from up to 500 commercially available water meters, heat meters, heat cost allocators or similar with 868 MHz wireless M-Bus radio interface (e.g. OMS compatible meters) or Sensus RF Bubble Up and forward them encrypted via mobile radio or LoRaWAN to the Internet for further analysis.
The daily status uplink ensures that the device can be reached for remote configuration within 24 hours, regardless of the current configuration.
- Type designation: LOB-GW-DINRAIL-HYB-MODBUS
- Part Number: 8000159 - Hybrid Modbus Gateway (ext. Power, DIN-Rail)
- Brief description: Hybrid Modbus Gateway (ext. Power, Din-Rail) with antenna
- Upload via NB-IoT mobile radio (LTE bands: 3, 8, 20)
- SIM card (4FF / Nano) - not included
- Alternative upload via LoRaWAN v1.0.2 (EU-868)
- Compatible with Modbus ASCII / RTU
- Compatible with wireless M-BUS S1, C1/T1 modes (868 MHz) meters
- Compatible with Xylem Sensus RF Bubble Up (868 MHz)
- Compatible with Müller radio (ME protocol, walk-by) for µon and µflow skyW-2 and skyE-2
- Online configuration: transmission intervals, Modbus commands, UART configuration
- Signed firmware updates (FOTA) via NB-IoT
- Power supply: 12-24 V
- Top-hat rail housing: 3 TE - 53mm (W) x 77mm (L) x 32mm (H) for 35mm top-hat rail
- Incl. articulated rod antenna 10.8cm
- Temperature range: 0°C to +55 °C
- External connections: RS485 / Modbus, Ethernet / LAN
Also available as variant with power supply and housing: 8000166
It is recommended to use the Lobaro Configuration Adapter and the Lobaro Maintenance Tool for easy configuration of the device. Detailed information on commissioning and configuration can be found in our Documentation.
Lobaro IoT Platform
To evaluate the product, they can use the free trial instance* of the Lobaro IoT Platform available on our server. For production systems, contact us about installing the platform on your server or AWS or connecting the hardware directly.
*Without availability guarantees, Without backups, Trial period: 6 months from purchase.